Winston-Salem State University

Welcome to the Winston-Salem State University Online Application
A message from the campus:


Carefully read all instructions below before you continue to the online application.


WSSU offers over 40 on-campus undergraduate degree programs and 1 post-bachelors, 4 undergraduate, and 2 graduate Extension/Distance Learning degree programs. 


The 1 post-bachelors, 4 undergraduate and 2 graduate extension/distance learning degree programs offered at this time are:

Online Certificates and Programs

Teaching English As a Second Language Add-On Licensure (Post-Bachelors)


Bachelors of Science- Clinical Laboratory Science (CLS)

Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN-BSN)

Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies, Concentration in Integrative Studies (IDS)

Birth to Kindergarten Education (BKE) Degree Program


Master of Science in Nursing Degree Advanced Nurse Educator (ANE) Concentration

Master of Science in Rehabilitation Counseling

Off-Campus Programs

Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN-BSN)


*Note: All RN-BSN applicants must select entrance status of Extension/Distance Learning and a Major of Pre-Nursing-RN-BSN (BS)-Distance Learner. If you are unsure of the semester you should be applying for, first contact the RN-BSN Office at 336-750-2828 or 336-750-2563.  If you submit the incorrect admissions application you will need to reapply before you can be considered for the RN-BSN Option.

Last updated: 2/10/2016 3:50:00 PM ET

Application Instructions

After reading the instructions, please complete the online application as thoroughly as possible. Your failure to provide complete, accurate, and truthful information on this application will be grounds to deny or withdraw your admission, or dismiss you after enrollment. When you are finished, click the 'SUBMIT' button on the left column of any application screen. When you submit your completed application, you will be asked to provide information for a valid credit or debit card to which the non-refundable $50 application fee will be charged. Print the application agreement statement that appears after you submit the application. Return the printed application agreement statement along to the Office of Admissions at WSSU.

Payment options:

Credit/debit cards
Check or money order

Please send check or money order to:

The Office of Admissions
Winston-Salem State University
Anderson Center Suite 111/137
601 S. Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive
Winston-Salem, NC 27110

State Authorization/Grievance Information for Distance Education

Important Note to Residents Outside of North Carolina
Admission of applicants residing outside the State of North Carolina to an online degree, certificate program or individual online course offered at Winston-Salem State University, is dependent on WSSU's ability to secure authorization from the applicant's state of residence, if such authorization is required.

Due to evolving changes in higher education regulations, at this time, WSSU is unable to serve all of the students that are interested in our courses or programs. WSSU will work with state authorities to allow students in these states who are currently enrolled in a WSSU online or certificate program to complete their degrees.

Additionally, the ability of students to enroll in programs or courses that require internships or supervised clinical placements may be impacted by state authorization policies. WSSU will monitor developments in state laws in each state in which it enrolls students and, if authorization or licensure is or becomes necessary, will seek those approvals.

WSSU is currently authorized to operate in, or authorization for distance education programs is not required, in the following states:
New Jersey
South Carolina

*Special Notice:

  1. Participation in any internship, externship, clinical practicum, or field-based experience must take place in the state of North Carolina for both the Birth through Kindergarten Program (BKE) and RN-to-BSN programs.
  2. Winston-Salem State University is authorized to provide online instruction for the following programs in the state of Pennsylvania:
    • Post-Bachelors Certificate in Cross Cultural Competence for Health Related Professions
    • Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies, Concentration in Integrative Studies
    • Bachelor of Science in Clinical Laboratory Sciences
    • Master of Science in Rehabilitation Counseling

For questions specific to the state authorization process please contact:
Dr. Tiffany Baffour
Director, Center for Excellence in Teaching & Learning


Freshman Applicants

You or your high school guidance counselor may send an official high school transcript to the Office of Admissions at WSSU. High School seniors who have taken classes at a college/university need to send all official college transcripts to Admissions. Please check link for college requirements

Submit official scores earned on the SAT I (Scholastic Assessment Test I) or the ACT (American College Testing Program). (All public universities in North Carolina require scores for the writing section of the SAT or ACT. The writing section of the test is included with the SAT, but if you are taking the ACT you must make sure to register for the "ACT Plus Writing".) If your high school cannot provide these scores, you should have them sent directly from the testing agency. The College Board SAT I code for WSSU is 5909. The ACT code for WSSU is 3178. Scores may be requested as follows:
College Entrance Examination Board
Box 592
Princeton, NJ 08540
Telephone: (609) 771-7600
ACT Records
PO Box 451
Iowa City, Iowa 52243
Telephone: (319) 337-1270

Transfer Degree Requirements

Winston-Salem State University defines a "Transfer Student" as one who has attended another postsecondary institution after graduating from high school.

  • For purposes of undergraduate admission, applicants who are under the age of 21 with fewer than 24 hours of transferrable undergraduate credit earned in a post-secondary institution, are required to submit an official high school transcript, SAT/ACT scores, and official transcripts from each college/university attended. Applicants who are under the age of 21 and have earned at least 24 transferrable undergraduate credits from one or more regionally accredited, post-secondary institutions are only required to submit official transcripts from each college/university attended.
  • All transfer applicants who are 21 years of age or older are required to submit all official transcripts from each college/university attended.

Transfer students should remember that:

  • Letter grades of "C" or higher must be obtained in college level coursework to be considered for transfer credit
  • Students must be in good academic and disciplinary standing at all previous institution(s) and eligible to return to the last institution attended.
  • Must have a cumulative G.P.A. of 2.0 or higher on last institution attended

Second Baccalaureate Degree Seeking Students

Winston-Salem State University defines a "Second Degree" as any student that has previously completed the requirements and earned a Baccalaureate Degree.

  • An earned degree must be reflected on official transcript
  • Must have a cumulative G.P.A. of 2.0 or higher
  • Must submit transcripts from each college/university attended

Special Student Categories

Must submit official transcript from the college or university currently attending or last attended.

  • Summer School Only - During the summer sessions, students from other colleges and universities may be admitted as a Summer Only student. Applicants from other colleges or universities must obtain prior approval from their dean to take courses at Winston-Salem State University. The university assumes no responsibility for determining the student's course selection when credits are to be transferred elsewhere. Enrollment by permission from another institution does not obligate the university to continue the student's enrollment at Winston-Salem State University after the expiration of the summer session period. Winston-Salem State University will accept for enrollment in certain university courses high school juniors and seniors who are above average in academic achievement and who have the formal endorsement of and permission from their high school principal. Please make sure you choose Undeclared as your major.
  • Nondegree/Visiting Students - During the summer sessions, fall or spring semesters, students from other colleges or universities may be admitted as Nondegree or Visiting Student. Applicants from other colleges or universities must obtain prior approval from their dean to take courses at Winston-Salem State University. The university assumes no responsibility for determining the student's course selection when the credits are to be transferred elsewhere. Special students may enroll in no more than 12 semester hours. Students admitted as special or as unclassified are not eligible for financial aid. Credits earned will not count toward a degree until the student has met admission requirements.
  • Teacher Certification/Computer Science Certification Students - Nondegree students are those who wish to take courses for personal enrichment or advancement rather than to earn a degree at WSSU. Students seeking certification are not admitted to any degree program.

International Students

(Nonpermanent resident aliens are considered international students) Deadline for application and all supporting documents:
Fall: April 15
Spring: September 15

WSSU accepts qualified students from freight countries. International applicants must satisfy all requirements for admission as outlined for other students, and must have command of written and spoken English. All foreign transcripts must be evaluated with a course-by-course evaluation. Required documentation includes:

  • Application
  • Non-refundable application fee of $50
  • Course by course evaluation with a U.S. summary
  • Official transcripts from US colleges/universities
  • Official Financial Guarantee (no photocopies, $29,000)
  • Official TOEFL or IELTS test scores (no photocopies)
  • Official High school transcripts
  • SAT/ACT scores if under the age of 24 without an earned college degree
The I-20 will be issues once applicants have satisfied all admissions requirements.


If you have questions regarding the university or the admissions process, please contact the Office of Admissions at

High School Transcripts

Most North Carolina public high schools now have the capability to electronically send official high school transcripts to all 110 North Carolina colleges and universities through We encourage you to visit your school counselor to verify coursework and grades prior to requesting an electronic transcript.

In order to send electronic transcripts, you must:

  • Be currently enrolled, or enrolled at the time of graduation, at a participating public high school in North Carolina.
  • Make sure you have entered the following information in the This is Me section of Your Profile:
    • First and Last name - This must match your NC SID name (use the name that appears on your report card, or check with your high school counselor).
    • NC Student Number (formerly NCWISE Student ID) - This can also be found on your report card.
    • E-mail address
    • Gender
    • Date of birth
    • My Account is connected to (the high school where you are currently enrolled, or were enrolled at the time of graduation)
If these conditions are met, you are ready to proceed to the Transcript Manager. A successfully requested transcript should be received by the college within 1-2 business days.

Important Announcement:

  • If you graduated in summer 2012 or before, you will need to contact your high school directly to request a transcript. Please note this is a temporary process change for electronic transcripts until NC DPI migrates historical data from NC WISE to PowerSchool.

If these conditions were met when you submitted your online application, you will then be presented with the option to request your high school transcript be sent electronically to that institution.

If you submitted an online admission application through another website or university portal, we encourage you to request your high school transcript be sent electronically to that institution from the CFNC Transcript Manager (located under the Apply tab → To College → Transcript Manager).

Winston-Salem State University
Office of Admissions
601 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive
Anderson Center 111/137
Winston-Salem, NC  27110
In-state telephone: (800) 257-4052
Out-of-state telephone: (800) 257-4052
Fax: (336) 750-2079
How to Use the Winston-Salem State University Online Application

To complete the online application, simply type your answers in the corresponding fields or select your answers from the popup lists (where applicable).

After you complete a screen, click the NEXT button at the bottom or on one of the sections listed on the left column to move to a different screen. Before you are allowed to jump screens, we will inspect your data on the current screen for errors or inconsistencies. If errors or omissions are found, you will be returned to the screen to correct your answer(s). Otherwise, your data will be saved and you will proceed to the requested screen. We also allow you to skip to another screen without your new data being saved. Be aware that if you use the Skip & Jump function on the left column, data on the current screen will not be saved and will have to be re-entered prior to submittal.

When you have completed the application please check your work. When you are ready, click the 'SUBMIT' button located on the left column to submit the application.

Click here if you have any technical questions or need assistance with this online application.

This application is brought to you by the Xap Corporation.

Copyright © 2000-2009 Xap Corporation. All Rights Reserved. XAP and MENTOR are registered trademarks of XAP Corporation. Reg. U.S. Pat. & TM Off. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the XAP Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.